The pho obsession is a serious situation. Correction, seriously SENSATIONAL situation. A casual powwow with friends, a hungover Sunday dinner or a quick work lunch date – the meal falls in to just about every category of catch up. Not to mention, it’s downright delicious any time of day. So, in the name of all that is Vietnamese goodness, the Dining Guide team had a very hardworking morning and came up with our TOP Adelaide hotspots to have a pho-gasm. Here goes nothing…
- Thanh Thanh – Field St, CBD
If you love your pho, this place is the bees knees and as close as you’ll get to the real thing in Vietnam. City central and known for producing delightful Vietnamese cuisine, Thanh Thanh offers one of Adelaide’s best traditional style phos. Cheap and cheerful with a broth so good you can have it on its own – no spice and sauces necessary! Although who are we kidding, that’s the best part.
2. Adelaide Pho – Waymouth St, CBD
If there’s one thing we know about good Vietnamese food, if the restaurant’s interior decor is less than special then the food is FANTASTIC! I mean why spend time on wall paint and matching chairs when there is quality food to prepare. Adelaide Pho is like our reliable friend – there’s always a table, the food is always good and you’ll never break the bank. Winning!
3. Phonatic – Hindley Street, CBD
As the name suggests these guys are pho fanatics, and boy do they know their stuff! Adelaide is loving all the funky new dining spots popping up around town and this is certainly one of them, but that doesn’t mean they sway from tradition. Phonatic has all bases covered – the perfect place for a night out with friends.
4. Sit Lo – Bank St, CBD
Best ‘grab and go’ pho in town – take away is their specialty. But choose to dine in for a lunch break and you’ll get your meal faster than you can say “Sriracha”.
5. Cafe Saba – The Parade, Norwood
Tucked away in Norwood’s city-end, this little gem is always buzzing with local pho lovers. If you’re looking for a great combination pho this place is for you. Fresh ingredients and fast service – tick! OR maybe just order on UberEATS and the pho comes to you.
6. Little NNQ
This place showcases incredible Vietnamese cuisine. Something for everyone and heaps of gluten-free options. It’s a must visit! Of course its pho sits amongst the best, offering more of a Westernised twist on the dish. A little on the higher $$ end but can you put a price tag on deliciousness?!
5 Things You Didn’t Know About Pho
- In Vietnam, the dish is traditionally served at breakfast time.
- In the busy cities, pho is served at street stalls, where Vietnamese park their motorbikes before indulging in a bowl.
- The term pho actually refers to the noodles, not the soup. There are hundreds of different soups found around Vietnam but pho is made with pristine white rice flour noodles that are made daily and sold in markets. But let’s be real, everybody judges a pho by its broth!
- The two main types of soup are pho bo, which is made with beef broth, and pho ga, made with chicken broth.
- A word often mispronounced, Pho is actually pronounced “fuh” or “fur”
Now we’re craving pho…